- Start packing two weeks in advance of your moving day.
- It is always easier to stack boxes that have the same dimensions.
- Utilize smaller boxes for heavier items.
- Utilize larger boxes for lightweight bulky items.
- Fill each box completely and compactly.
- Do not overfill or under utilize each packing box.
- List the contents of each box on a piece of paper and attach the list to each box.
- Seal all boxes with heavy duty packing tape.
- Wrap all dishes and glassware individually in tissue or packing paper.
- Avoid packing fragile and heavy items in the same box.
- Make sure the boxes you use are able to withstand 20-30 lbs. without tearing or collapsing.
- Wrap mirrors and pictures in separate cardboard boxes and be sure to mark them “FRAGILE”.
- Tape drawers shut when moving in order to prevent them from falling out. Clothes, silverware and other small items can be stored in these drawers to save space.
- If you are moving large appliances, note that they can be utilized for additional storage space for non-fragile items. (Example: blankets, tablecloths, linen, etc.) Shovels, rakes, brooms, etc. should be tied together and stored in empty garbage cans.
- REMEMBER: moving is a great time to get rid of excess items that you never use anymore.
- Don’t store unnecessary items.